About Me

My photo
I once sold cosmetics for a large manufacturer. I quit more than five years ago, but cannot stop playing in make-up!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Taking My Lashes

Ten years ago I did something that would forever change the contents of my make-up bag, I joined Mary Kay Cosmetics, Inc..  At the time I was living in Indiana. Not the faux Indiana that I grew up in (just outside of BDPL, very urban, lots of diversity, etc), but the “real deal” with cows and cornfields.  I had a friend in town who was an urban transplant just like me who joined MK after a home party we attended. There I was, in exile from my home land, withering away when the lure of sanity saving accoutrements she was enjoying became too great for me to resist. I attended a meeting dressed to the nines, gathered with Mary Kay women who had like-minded values (like the importance of control-top pantyhose and arching your brows) to learn about make-up and hear stories of inspiration. I joined like a second later and soon discovered the biggest benefit of joining; MK gave me a reason to buy a shit-ton of make-up! 

One of the finds from this bygone era that I keep going back to is the Mary Kay Ultimate Mascara. After application of this thickening, lengthening super performer, my eyes look more wide-awake and so much bigger. Not for the faint of heart, this is a mascara lovers mascara, like Dior Show or Voluminous, only without all the gunking and in a formula that is easier to remove at night than the other two. It comes in two color options, black or black/brown (for blonds). 

Ultimately, I had a good run in MK. I learned a lot, won a couple cars, but found I am too much of a junkie to be as brand loyal as selling a specific line requires. Still, even now glancing into my bag and spying this product reminds me of the days MK gave me license to go traipsing around the great Hoosier state giving make-overs/make-unders and making the rural world more beautiful, one woman at a time!

Upside: a thickening, lengthening mascara that resists flaking and provides dramatic effects without clumping or a ton of effort.
Downside: If your lashes touch your skin there will be some smudging
Cost: $15
Find It: only from a MK beauty consultant. Find a consultant near you or e-mail mine and tell her I sent you. Maybe there will be a discount in it for me ;)
 

4 comments:

  1. I need to try this, but I fear the smudging you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately Kristine, you are exactly the friend I had in mind when I put that in there. A little blinking onto the top of the brow bone doesn't seem to matter, but extended lash contact with skin seems to make the formula warm and leave residue. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fancy, reach way back in your memory bank and recall the time you "did my face" for a dance...I believe I was in the eighth grade at the time. I saw one of those pictures the other day and giggled...not only at my awkward junior high self, but at the fact that my make-up looked so much better than my friends'. :P

    I love your blog! ...and thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW, I remember well the beautiful 8th grade Kenan and the fun we had getting your make-up on for that dance! Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete